There are big actions and small actions. Right now, our list consists of the following:
Call the Congressional Switchboard 202-224-2131. Ask for Representative Capps or Thomas; & Senators Feinstein & Boxer. You will have to call back a few times to connect to their offices.
Let each office know:
1. You want them to vote NO on the Patriot Act.
2. You want them to vote NO on the $70B in Emergency Supplemental Funding for Iraq & Afghanistan.
3. Go to "womensaynotowar.org" and sign the call for peace
4. Join our members today, on Dave Congalton 920AM @ 5:30 PM for discussion on how we must change the course of our nation and our action on International Women's Day, March 8th.
5. Add your name to our email list by sending an email to: email@example.com. You will learn more about our meetings, our work on school campuses to empower students to make choices other than military futures and creative ways we work together to "say no to war".
6. March 8th "International Women's Day" - join us as we Trudge for Peace. The idea of a "trudge" was due to the fact that we are tired! Wear your pink sleep wear and join us on our trudge through downtown SLO at 5:30 pm, starting at the SLO County Government Center on Monterey Street.
To be sure, we are tired of death and arrogant destruction conducted in our name. We are impatient from listening to the lies about a failed policy. We are exhausted from having to work extra hours to raise funds for our children's schools. We are fatigued by the countless shams perpetrated on our fellow citizens in the form of "prescription drug reform" or "clean skies initiative" benefiting the very industries that need regulating. We are weary from the incompetent political appointees that are ruining our government agencies and departments. As women working in health, education and other social services, we are witnesses to the consequences of having our resources usurped by an unaccountable president, vice-president and their administration.
Even as we earn less than our male counterparts, we contribute 49% of the federal taxes paid and we demand that our money is spent on life sustaining activities. We will not accept the policies that jeopardized our families futures for possibly decades to come.
For those questioning our patriotism, we ask "what is unpatriotic about wanting to take care of our people, our land and the integrity of our country?"
Being a part of CodePink Women for Peace is easy. It takes the desire to make the world a better place for your families. It takes the belief that we can do this together. It requires humor and joy to carry out crazy actions and bold moves. It
doesn't take any money, just a little time and hope.
We look forward to seeing you soon!